Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Killbear, Thanks for the Memories…

Wow – what a way to cap off my summer. Our camping trip to Killbear Provincial Park was so much more than I expected it to be. I mean – I love to camp – but it’s usually the same old thing - setting up the tent – sitting on the beach - cooking on the fire and getting in a swim or a hike or two. And we did all of those things – but there’s just something about Killbear that makes those simple things come alive.

I’ve been going to this park every summer since I was a baby – however, I hadn’t been back for the past 7 or so years. I had forgotten how beautiful it was there. The red rocks of the Canadian Shield run through the park and the blue waters of Georgian Bay were crystal clear. The islands strewn all about were full of greenery and lush vegetation. It was just magical sitting on the rocks in the morning – they’d been warmed up naturally by the sun and Rich and I would watch the sun come up with our cup of tea on those rocks each morning. I loved loved loved it. It was so beautiful and peaceful.

We were blessed with glorious weather and we spent our days on the beach or on the rocks reading and swimming and my brothers and parents were there too, so we had lots of laughs and many old memories and stories were shared amongst us all. I had a premium site right on the beach so our view was fantastic. We were in a quieter part of the park and since it was Labour Day weekend, the campground wasn’t as busy as it would be mid-summer, so it was very peaceful.


When it came time to leave on Monday afternoon, both Rich and I had a hard time saying good-bye to the park! It was actually a bit emotional for me. It was like I was leaving a family member behind. I know that sounds strange – but like I said – Killbear holds very special memories for me and the beauty of the park just holds you there. You really don’t want to leave! I felt so good being there. It was good for the mind, good for the body, good for the soul. So thanks Killbear. I’ll be sure to see you again next summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Killbear is a memory maker for me, almost 44 years of them! From camping with tiny babies, to sailing into glorius sunsets, watching the amphitheatre shows, laughing as Lisa goes on a spider check of the tent, playing guitars, singing, swimming, roasting both our bodies, and the marshmallows, great hikes, the most beautiful rocks, in the world, feeding the chippies, shooing the bears, snuggling in the sleeping bags under the most brightly coloured stars in the world, at least to us, its all the very best life has to offer, especially when your there with a great family, and someone who helps with the dishes!! loved it too, SC