Thursday, August 07, 2008

Who Knew?

Still cleansing. So far, so good. I’ll have a bit of a challenge this weekend though when we head to “Taste of the Danforth”…a celebration of Greek cuisine where there is a street festival of all the Greek restaurant vendors who come out with their tasty tasty treats!! We have gone the past few years and it’s always been a great time. However, I’m unable to partake in it this year as my cleanse goes until Monday! And actually, I’m not sure how much non-animal items they would have there other than maybe perogies and French fries (which I can’t have right now).
But I’ll still go with Rich because he really enjoys the food, and I can always spend my money on something else….like jewellery and sunglasses (which they also have a lot of!).

And speaking of tasty food – I made a really good dinner last night that was ‘cleanse-friendly’, vegan and very very tasty! As I mentioned on an earlier post – the cleanse is pretty strict on food that you CAN’T have….no dairy, no alcohol, no salt, no sugar, no wheat, no bread, no pasta, no preservatives, no oranges, no mushrooms….so although there are still food choices, it’s a bit tough to make them flavourful, and also – you have to get certain amounts of Proteins, Grains, Fruit and Fats in at each meal.

So for dinner last night – I made some Quinoa (a high protein whole Grain), with lentils and chickpeas (my protein!), and sautéed a bunch of onions, green and red peppers, zucchini and garlic (my veggies!) in some sesame oil (my fat!). All was mixed together in a deep pan, and I added some ginger and cinnamon to the mix for a flavour twist (which was really nice with the sesame oil!) and tossed a few walnuts on top (I was allowed two fats – so the nuts were my second one). It was SO good! I couldn’t believe this was “cleansing” food. I have the same thing for lunch today (leftovers) and I’m actually excited to eat it!

So although I’ll be happy when the cleanse is over, it hasn’t been as bad as I thought. 5 days to go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will respond by saying, good for you, and your recipe sounds really yummy, I will try it when returning home from holidays. This all sounds pretty good so far, keep up the good work, and happy cleansing. mom

Anonymous said...

you have more will power than me way to go