Thursday, July 09, 2009

I heart NY

We returned on Sunday night from our 5-day getaway to NYC and it was even more fabulous than the first time I was there! The weather was hot and sunny – a few rain showers here and there, but that’s what umbrellas are for!


We saw so much and did a tonne of walking! I think I calculated we probably did at least 20k of walking a day! We literally left the hotel by 9am and were out and on our feet exploring the city until at least 8pm each day. (I am so happy I have some spa gift certs to use – I’m in need of a foot massage and pedicure!)


Our hotel was great! Steps from Broadway (avenue) in between Central Park and Time Square - so the location was perfect! We walked into Soho and Grenwich Village and across the Brooklyn Bridge, and into Brooklyn Heights - we went to Coney Island (and I had a Nathan's hot dog! - gasp!! – bad vegetarian – I know!). I didn't realize how beautiful (and extensive) the beach was there! Miles and miles of sand and boardwalks and people swimming and playing and ferris wheels and rides and popcorn and candy and oh my! What an amazing place!


We spent one whole entire day in Central Park listening to musicians and reading our books and walking from one end of the park to the other (it spans over 50 blocks) also took in the Museum of Modern Art and did a long walk along the Hudson River near the Chelsea Piers, where the cruise ships port. Oh - and we were there for the 4th of July fireworks! What a sight to see! It was such a great trip!


Only a 50 minute flight for us – so quick I couldn’t even watch the end of my movie. Such a great getaway city, and the food – oh my – we had pizza at Lombardi’s – a well-known place and boy was it good – thin crust – fresh tomatoes – very very close to what we experienced in Italy! And of course we had our favourite Chipotle burritos when we were there too!


We shopped – although I didn’t buy as much as I’d thought I would – a pair of Uggs and some tops – but I just wanted to see and explore rather than shop and I really felt like I got a lot out of this trip!


Can’t wait to go back! I know it’s cliché – but….”I love New York!”

No comments: