Wednesday, September 09, 2009

My Happy Place

What a way to cap off the summer. Our 5-day camping trip to Killbear Provincial Park exceeded my expectations. I’ve been going there since I was a little baby girl, and that park holds so many amazing memories for me, and I’m so happy to still be going there now, with my husband and family, to create more memories each year we are there.

And let me just say – the weather was FANTASTIC! Nothing but sunshine for 5 glorious days. Given the summer we’ve had – I was a little nervous. Nights were cool – but we were in our bathing suits and swimming everyday.

Rich’s sister, brother-in-law and their little girl (who’s almost one year of age) came up to spend a night there, as well as my brother and his wife, and my parents were with us on our site. My aunt and uncle even stopped by for the day. When one family member knows someone is up there – they usually make the trek up! It’s that beautiful of a place.

I’m also happy to say that being at Killbear has actually shown me how far I’ve come with respect to my fitness level and health. There are lots of hiking trails at this park. Acres of rocks and hills and lots of great places to do some climbing. There is one trail in particular – Look Out Point Trail – that has always been challenging for me in the past.

You can probably guess from the name, that it is an elevated trail that leads you high up onto the rocks and hills to overlook the beauty of the islands in Georgian Bay. It’s a rugged trail that has always left my breathless as I would make my way up. I usually had to stop a time or two to catch my breath.


But this time….I FLEW up the trail!! I felt like I could have run up it if I wanted to. I felt so light on my feet and the best part was that I didn’t have to stop once, and when I reached the top, I was not out of breath at all! It was truly one of the best feelings. I’m not at my goal yet, but this was a major milestone for me.

So thanks Killbear Park – you are my happy place, and once gain you’ve renewed my spirit and my soul. I can’t wait to see you again next year, where maybe I WILL run up that hill!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Parents always wants to have memories for their children. It makes us very happy that all of our children and grandchildren, now, have a happy place that comes from early childhood memories. SO glad we were there with all who came this past week end, it was really fun for us, and Killbear is our happy place as well. Happy you felt good about climbing the trails. SC