Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Me? Organized? Maybe just a little...

Hello folks. Sorry for my laziness in blog posting. It’s been a busy few weeks. The wedding planning is going well. There’s a few big things that still need to get done. Bridesmaid dresses, invitations, wedding bands – but they’re all sourced, so it’s just a matter of putting the order in.

There are of course a tonne of little things to do – like buy jewelry, shoes, schedule make-up appt., outfit the guys, and much more, but it’s things that don’t have deadlines, etc. So, I'm ahead of schedule which should mean smooth sailing in the new year. Rich and I are pretty much out of commission for the month of May. There is something every weekend that month, so I have to have everything ready and in order by end of April. When you think about it, that’s only 5 months away. Time sure does fly when you’re having fun!

When people ask me how the planning is coming, it’s usually followed by them saying “so…I hear your very organized”. I’m not sure how to take that statement. The way it is said sometimes almost makes me feel like I’m being judged in a negative light. Do people picture me as a crazy, person running around with a checklist and my arms flailing and ordering people around to get things done? Because that’s not me. I’ve actually been pretty calm, respectful and tactful while planning my wedding. Yes it’s true – I am very organized! But I have to be. I’m doing this on my own. I don’t have a wedding planner. My parents have been great in helping us with money and my mom has ordered me some great things online, and Rich’s folks are helping us with the rehearsal dinner and honeymoon, and I’m grateful for all of that, but when it comes to the actual planning, calling, emailing, scheduling, organizing, ordering, buying, drafting, printing, decorating, and putting everything together -- it’s little ol’ me arranging an event for almost 200 people by myself.

Sure, Rich will browse online for honeymoon destinations, and maybe go with me to look at things at stores, but really (sorry hun) it’s me doing the “stuff”. It can be a bit overwhelming at times. So instead of being a bridezilla about it, I just choose to be organized about it instead. If that means getting things done sooner than later – so be it. It eases my mind – keeps me on track and allows me to be more relaxed. Another thing I don’t think people realize, is that this is what I do at work on a daily basis. I have to be overly-organized in my job in order to thrive and function, so that flows into my personal life too.

Trust me…at the end of the day, it’s a good thing, and it’ll be an even better thing when it’s a few weeks before the wedding and all I’ll have to do is sit back, relax and let the good times roll. That sounds pretty nice to me.

P.S. Happy Hannukah to my Jewish peeps!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just sounds like sooo much work, I wish you had more help, but it will fall into place as time goes by, and did you ever think elope?? No, we wouldnt want that at all! love ya, SC