Friday, October 27, 2006

Vacations

"Vacation...All I ever wanted...Vacation...Had to get away...Vacation...Meant to be spent alone" - a little Go-Go's action to get you groovin'. But really...are vacations meant to be spent alone? Some say yes; some say no. I just had a fabulous trip of a lifetime in September. For 25 days I lived the life of luxury. 4 days in London, England, then off to France for the remaining three weeks. Let me tell you...had I been there alone, I would have seen bupkiss, but thanks to my wonderful tour guide (aka 'the boyfriend' - hereinafter referred to as the "BF" - can you tell i'm in the legal field?) I saw everything my little (big) heart desired. This post is not to get into the details of our trip - my friends and family have already been tortured with our 3 hours of video and 542 digital pics. No - the point of this is to contemplate - are vacations better taken with someone, or on your own?

A lot of people travel by themselves - some by choice - some due to circumstance. I have never travelled alone. I think I would be a little scared, and a little lonely. But..there are those who love the freedom of not being on anyone else's schedule - seeing exactly what you want, when you want, etc. You want to eat at that restaurant? go for it! You want to go to that museum? knock yourself out! You want to sit on a beach all day and read your book and not go anywhere? Fabulous! When you travel alone - you are free. Free to come and go and do and see whatever you like. But.....with all these wonderful things you are doing and seeing - is it not more fun to share it with someone? I think so. I loved my vacation with the BF. Even though there were times when I'm sure he wished he was travelling alone (due to my groans of "my feet hurt" / "i'm getting car sick" / "i don't want to eat there" / "do you really know what subway line to take?", etc.), I didn't feel that way once. I loved every minute of every day sharing these new experiences with him. My eyes were the size of golfballs when I saw the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame and endless acres of vineyards, etc. I was seeing all these places that I'd ever only read about, and I was so happy to be there with him. Once home, I asked him "did you like travelling with me or do you prefer to travel alone?" His response was...

Actually - do I really have to tell you? We're still together aren't we? ;)

So what about you my friends? what do you prefer? Flying Solo or The More the Merrier?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would definitely choose to travel with my hubby. I don't like to be alone - not even when I go shopping! I hardly do anything alone. I like someone there to hear me wine and complain! LOL

Anonymous said...

:) Would just love to be able to travel with hubby or alone. Either way I'd totally enjoy it.