Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Feeling Old?

I think it was Saturday evening when I was lying in bed – trying to nurse a sore back and aching shoulders from a day of yard work – when all of a sudden I was alerted to the sounds of fireworks and cheers and laughs coming from the waterfront down the road. Oh Right. It’s Victoria Day weekend. I remember this weekend – “MAY TWO-FOUR” – yee haw – party! party! party! - being with friends and heading to the beach to spend the day with our blankets and coolers to await the fireworks at night – laughing and being silly….oooohs and aahhhhs with each explosion of colour and light. Good times...good times…

However, this weekend I found myself bundling hedge trimmings, raking the grass and heading to the nursery to buy yukka plants and the like. Granted, we took in a movie and went out for dinner, but I have to say, I started to feel a little (...gasp…) “old”! Where we live, they do fireworks each night of the long weekend…so when I missed out on them on Saturday and Sunday, I said to Rich “I want to go to the lake Monday night to watch them and be around humans and have some fun and feel young….and you’re not getting out of it!” “Sure” he replied.

So…after another hard day of work in the yard on Monday, I headed in the house around 3 or 4pm. Rich soon followed. We ordered in some dinner cause we were both too tired to cook, and I anxiously awaited for dusk to fall. Except of course – it was Monday – a regular day for the good old U.S. of A, and our TV shows that we’ve been watching this season both had their season finalés on! Dang it. What to do? I wanted to feel like a kid again and watch the fireworks and be amongst the living – but we put in a faithful season of “24” (and “The Bachelor” for me) and we’d been looking forward final shows.

So, we decided to stay in and forego the festivities which were carrying on down the road. But as luck would have it – we live close enough to the lake that we were actually able to see some of the fireworks going off right from our bedroom window! So it worked out pretty well in the end. And even thought I don’t remember Rub A535 being part of my Victoria Day weekends, I still enjoyed my time at home, being with Rich and making our yard look nice for the summer. So, maybe I’m not (...gasp!...) getting old after all….perhaps I’m just (…double gasp!!...) growing up! I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

No comments: