Monday, May 14, 2007

Ode to my momma

I know this is a day late, but I didn’t have computer access over the weekend. I wanted to pay a special tribute to my mom! She’s been the most outstanding mom for all of my life. She’s lovely and beautiful and funny and nurturing and just a really spectacular woman, let alone a terrific mom. But today I wanted to write about what makes her “her”. She’s hilarious and doesn’t even know it. It’s her fun spirit and lighthearted ways that make her so lovable. So I wanted to share a few of those moments with you. When I was younger, my friends and I made her the President of her own club. Granted, it was the ‘dick’ club…(not in that way!)…but it was because she would sometimes do “dicky” things, or get herself into ‘dicky’ situations. Now that I think about it – it’s not the greatest analogy, but when I was younger, it was more funny than crude. Anyway – what better place than here, to share a few of my fondest “dick club” moments of my mom!

1. She would often call me in for lunch for a yummy grilled cheese sandwich, only for me to bite into it and come out with a mouthful of plastic, which she forgot to remove from the cheese before grilling;

2. She was riding her bike once, just up and down our street while the rest of the family was waiting to go to African Lion Safari…we were all by the car waiting to leave and wondered “where’s mom”…when we heard a little scream and looked down the road to find her lying on someone’s lawn with the handlebars of her bike in her hands…and the bike a few feet away from her. My dad told her she was “riding too hard”…you had to be there – but it was the funniest thing I think I’ve ever seen;

3. She thought she’d take a relaxing bubble bath one night. She put the bath salts in the tub…got her book…relaxed and enjoyed…but then the water started to thicken around her and turned cloudy…she didn’t know what was happening, but eventually called for my dad to help her out of the tub…turned out the bath salts was actually a box of tile grout! poor mommy….

4. I used to be in gymnastics, and she’d clean my gym slippers (kind of like ballet slippers) in a pot on the stove with some hot water and bleach (not sure why she didn’t just put them in the washing machine now that I think about it)…but my brother came home from school one lunch time and my mom told him lunch was on the stove…he just about fell over when he thought she had made him ‘slipper soup’…

5. My dad was cutting down a tree in our backyard – a big maple – he yelled to her from the yard to make sure the dogs stayed in the house so they wouldn’t get hurt by falling branches…she couldn’t quite hear him, so she opened the door and asked “what did ya say hun??” and of course…at that moment, out runs the dog…so she ran out to grab the dog and ‘lo and behold! a huge branch fell right on top of my mom’s leg!! She couldn’t walk for a month and had to have surgery. Oh mom!!

6. She used to drive me and a few friends to school sometimes in our old green pick-up truck…I got the front (of course) and Steven was always in the back cab. Once at school…I’d hop out – mom would go home…Steven would still be in the back. THIS HAPPENED A LOT! Steven would bang on the cab window….but mom had the radio too loud, or was in her own world I think. Needless to say – he started walking to school after the fifth time.

7. Mom would sometimes get us McDonalds on Friday’s for dinner. She’d go through the drive through…place her order….proceed to first window to pay….then drive home. Um…..did you forget something mom? like the FOOD!??? aiy aiy aiy…(that’s a true story!)


There are many other little moments that hold a fond place in my heart…too many to list here…but mom – those moments are the best and they are what make me laugh and smile and love you even more. So I hope you had a lovely mother’s day – I enjoyed spending the day with you yesterday and I love you very much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing uncontrollably. Thank you for sharing those funny, memories. I always wanted to write a book, or a journal, and remember all the funny, happy times. Like riding to gymnastics, in a freezing old VW, under a hot water bottle and a blanket, singing the Carpenters, Im on the top of the world" Thats how you make me feel as a mom, on top of the world. I know you laugh with me, not at me, and we have shared some amazing times, especially singing together, Once in China, etc. and playing guitar, you play, me sing. I had a blast watching you in little Theatre, and all your competions, scoop it scoop it!! It was great to read your blog, I love you so much, thanks honey, it made mothers day twice as nice today. love ya.

Anonymous said...

To the BESTEST PRESIDENT EVER.

Love ya Ma.


You turned out pretty good Lisa, considering....LOL