Monday, July 16, 2007

FORE! the love of Golf – Part II

Friday night we headed up to Rich’s cottage. We were teeing off early Saturday a.m. Family in from Calgary were there too, and we spent the evening eating, drinking, laughing and reorganizing the teams due to some last minute additions. It was a fun evening, but make no mistake - the competition was ON! Amongst all the laughing, there was a Survivor-type feel to the evening of outwit, outlast, outplay! It started to become an “East Meets West Battle for the Trophy”!

A 6:15 a.m wake-up call on Saturday morning…a quick coffee and bite to eat, and we were off to the golf course. Unfortunately, so was the rain! It wasn’t the bright sunny day we had hoped for, but everyone’s spirits were up, energy was high and we gathered around the first tee. Nine teams of 4, plus one twosome – a great turn out!

I was in the seventh group to tee off. This year I was paired up with one of Rich’s sister’s friends, Christopher. My brother was also in my foursome and he was paired with Rich’s sis – so the scores would for sure be on the mark! (you hope that everyone records their scores truthfully). Nerves usually play a big part for me when I’m teeing off in front of a crowd, but this time I was fairly relaxed. I think because I hadn’t played much all year, and because I had won last time, the chances of me winning again were slim, so I really didn’t have any high expectations for myself. I know that sounds bad, but when it comes to golf, it’s good for me to be relaxed. I lined up my shot as people stood and watched – took a deep breath – and let her rip. And what do you know…..I put it on the green about 6 feet from the pin! Yessssssss!

The round took about 5 hours to play. We were a little wet – a little cold – but had a ton of fun. The beer helped too! Christopher was a great partner. He and I played really well together. I was relaxed the whole game. At the end of the round we made our way back to the cottage for some good eats, good wine and the presentation of prizes and the green jacket and trophy to the winners. There was probably over 50 people there…and because of the rain, everyone was inside – but they have a HUGE place, so it was fine. Chris and I had a good score – but we had no idea how anyone else did – and we wouldn’t know who won until the scores were tallied and the announcements were made.


They started the prizes from 12th place down…calling out the names….people clapping and cheering…when they got down to 2nd place – it was announced there was a tie with first! In order to break it and determine a winner, they went with the lowest score on the hardest hole of the course. And the Champions for the 2007 Annual Golf Tournament…(drum roll please)…LISA and CHRISTOPHER with a score of 89! Can you believe it peeps? I won again!! Thank goodness I’m engaged to Rich, or I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be invited back next year! lol….it was a great day, and a great night and I had a fantastic time. Maybe a three-peat is in store for next year. Wouldn’t that be sweet!? I’ll add some pics soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just checking things out tonight, read your blog, and thought I'd let you know Im a little sorry we spent thousands well, maybe hundreds of dollars on gymnastic training, shoulda put you on the green, and we would all be rolling in it, the green I mean! oh well, its never too late, move over Tiger!!! love SC

Anonymous said...

Congrats 2-time Champion! I really enjoy your blog. I like to give Terry updates on what the Toronto gang is doing - he's always impressed with my insider knowledge. Hope to see you soon.