Friday, July 13, 2007

FORE! the love of golf

This weekend is Rich’s family’s annual summer golf tournament. Every year since 1980ish (or possibly earlier!) they have been putting on this tourney. Family and friends are invited and teams of four are put together – good golfers paired with not-so-good golfers to make it fair for everyone. It’s all about fun and having a good time – however, it can be a tad stressful teeing off in front of a crowd of 40 people – which is exactly what I had to do last year my first time playing with them!

This year once again I shall play, and my brother will be joining the brood as well. We start early in the morning at a nice golf course near Lake Simcoe, and everyone ends up back at Rich’s cottage afterwards for food, drinks, and of course the prizes! Even though it’s a “fun” day – trust me – there’s some competition in that family! The coveted trophy is worn and torn, and inscribed with the winnners’ names during all the years of play. It’s truly a sight….but everyone wants to win it!

As I said – last year was my first year playing with the clan – I was scared, but I’ve golfed a couple times before, so I knew that I wouldn’t be “terrible”. I was paired with one of Rich’s good friends – he was the “good” golfer – I was the “not-so-good golfer”. So, after the tournament ended and we were back at the cottage…the scorekeepers sat down to tally up the playcards. GUESS WHO WON!?

That’s right. Yours truly took home the all-mighty trophy and was adorned with the “Green Jacket” (it’s very official!) and I could not wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the weekend. Actually….I’m smiling right now just thinking about it! So here’s hoping for another victory…but something tells me I should watch myself. I don’t think Rich’s mom will let me away with another win – if I see her pull out a retractable club from her bag….I’m running! Here’s a pic of me last summer when I was presented with the Trophy and the Green Jacket. Told you I was happy!

No comments: