Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Saying Good-bye to Meat!

I recently read a book which opened my eyes to some really awful animal cruelty that goes on in slaughterhouses. It made me cry my eyes out. I'm not kidding. I was bawling like a baby! If you know me, you know how much of an animal lover I am and how I can't handle any stories or discussions (or anything basically) about animal abuse.

I feel like I've been a hypocrite my whole life because I love animals so much - yet I'm happy to wear them and eat them. Well - it has to stop for me. If you read what I read and learned what I learned, then you too perhaps would stop.

But I'm not here to preach or to tell you to stop eating meat - I only want to let you know that I've decided to give vegetarianism a try. No meat, no chicken, no fish. No dairy if I can help it either. It's going to be hard but it's important to me to try. Oh, and no more leather either. (the shoe stores should anticipate a big drop in sales)

I've always thought "one person can't make a difference" - but did you know that one vegetarian can save 100 animals' lives a year! 100 lives a year!! To me that's a huge difference and it's all I need to know.

Wish me luck and bring on the tofurkey!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,

What book did you read? I had a period of about ten years where I limited my meat intake - no chicken, beef, or pork. I finally succumbed to pressure from husband and children and got tired of making two meals.

I would suggest starting slowly - try hard to get buy-in from Richard on this. Selectively eliminate beef, pork, chicken, and work from there. It's a lot easier if you have support from your significant other.

Anonymous said...

make sure you still get all the daily requirements to stay healthy....u still need protein and milk for strong bones and teeth...i hope it works for you