Friday, July 18, 2008

Update on the Vegetarian

In all the reading I've done on vegetarianism it says "the most common statement people make is 'how will you get your protein". That is so true!! Case in point- the "anonymous" commenter on my blog post from the other day saying "make sure you still get all the daily requirements to stay healthy....u still need protein and milk for strong bones and teeth..."

I do appreciate any comments, so thank you. But, it really is a misconception that vegetarians don't get the protein they need. I think I am getting MORE protein now than I did when I ate meat! Beans, lentils, soy milk, tofu, whole grains, fresh veggies, quinoa, brown rice, ...all vegetarian and all loaded with protein! I eat them and I love them!

With respect to milk (dairy) giving you strong bones and teeth? "xxxx" (that was the sound you would hear on a game show when a contestent gets the answer wrong". It really isn't the case. Dairy has so many negatives associated with it when it comes to your health. I didn't know this either until I began educating myself. I've read about numerous studies that have been done and when you see who actually "promotes" the dairy industry...(dairy farmers and milk producers/sellers)....it's just not needed in the human diet. It's needed for babies when they are first born and growing -- but that's their Mother's milk - not a cow's - and....they are weaned off eventually right?

BUT! I did say I was not going to preach to anyone about my choices and what I believe. This is just something I am doing for ME - I'm not out there to change the world (even though I'd like to!) and I know that when people make comments that they just care about me and want me to be happy and healthy. Which I am! So don't worry about me kid...I'm gonna be just fine!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck to you!!

Anonymous said...

I encourage you to keep learning and making your choices, way to go. sc

Laural Dawn said...

So with you on the veggie thing. I've cut out dairy (though it's in everything so as much as possible) and once you start it is totally manageable.
I'll spare you the details but we live near a pork slaughterhouse, and really I can't eat pork anymore. I love hamburgers, but I've switched to Lick's Nature burgers.
We're not completely vegetarian, but I have to tell you I really enjoy a lot of the meat-free stuff. You'll have to tell me what you read. Was it Skinny Bitch?
We're changing a lot of our eating habits because of Matt. The one thing he discovered is veggie dogs. He LOVES them - ore than hot dogs. (and he's getting plenty of protein from vitamins). If you're serious about this you may want to look into seeing a naturopath. Ours has suggested different supplements so that our diets are well balanced. I'm feeling way healthier also. Since being so careful about our diets, neither Matt or I has had a cold.