Monday, July 28, 2008

The Missing Link

With my new found love of the vegetarian lifestyle, I am feeling pretty good these days. Not just physically, but mentally too. I feel like I'm doing something good for my body, good for the environment, good for the animals, good for my soul, and that makes me happy!

I've also been exercising 4 x a week to improve my cardio and burn some calories. I'm taking a healthy "green" supplement (a superfood as they say!) and things are falling into place. However - there is one thing missing that I want to incorporate - a form of meditation and relaxation.

So - I'm looking into yoga classes. There is a studio just down the street from where I live, with classes led by a certified instructor who works out of her home - a young girl - very active and fit (from what I can see and read on her website) and who sounds very knowledgable. We've been in touch and she's said I can come and do a drop-in class and see how I like it before committing to a program, which I thought was great.

She offers Ashtanga yoga - which is more intense, will burn more calories and give me a tough workout; and there's Hatha yoga, which I believe is more relaxing, breathing and stretching type of yoga. Both I think would be great, but I think I'm leaning towards Ashtanga. (and it's in a heated room too).

I did buy a Yoga DVD (haven't tried it yet) that looks great and allows you to do several different Yoga workout combinations. The DVD gives me the benefit of doing it whenever I want to, in my own home, on my own schedule and in my undies if I want to (sorry for the visual, but you know what I mean).

But I think the classes will give me a better workout with a qualified instructor who's there to help and guide me to reach my full potential and will teach me more about the art of Yoga, which I am very interested in.

Who knows...maybe our next vacation will be to a mountain top in India for a yoga retreat! Namaste.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you ever in the healthy zone...way to go !!

Anonymous said...

glad your incorporating a lot of things into your lifestyle. diet, exercise and a frame of mind makes it all work for the good. keep up the good work. mom

LD said...

Have you read "eat.pray.love"? If not, you totally should. You'd totally understand her journey (not the divorce part - the rest of it).