Wednesday, April 11, 2007

One or Two – What to do?

So, we’ve made a decision. We think we’re ready. We’ve talked long and hard about it. We’re adopting!! A cat that is. We said to ourselves that we only want ONE. One little cat that needs a home. I’ve never been a cat-owner. It will be new to me. Growing up, I’ve only had dogs as pets. The dilemma is that with both of us working all day, part of me thinks having two cats would be best. Company for each other, you know? But on the flip side, having two means double the food, double the litter, double the vet bills, double the boarding costs, and double the hair on the couch!

Everyone who owns a cat keeps telling us “having two is no more expensive than having one”. I just don’t get that though. Of course it’s more expensive – it’s double! They both eat, they both poop, they both need annual veterinary care, and they both need to be cared for while we’re on holidays. I think leaving them in the house for a weekend would be fine, but if we’re gone for longer than that, a boarding facility is our choice of day-care.

So – what to do? Do cats get depressed if they’re the only animal in the house and alone during the day? I want a cat who loves human contact and will purr and cuddle, etc. – but at the same time - I thought that was the beauty about having a cat as opposed to a dog – they’re more “independent” and can stay indoors and be happy on their own until we get home….but now I’m not so sure.


What to do, what to do…do we get one or do we get two?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think 2 is better. The same sex though. Females. Just my opinion