Wednesday, October 17, 2007

MEEEOWWWW

Last night Rich and I went to see the stage production of CATS. CATS was one of the first-ever live theatre productions that I saw with my parents when I was maybe 12 years old, and I loved it! I saw that it was coming to T.O. for a limited engagement (it’s only here for one week apparently) so I snapped up two tickets right away.

As some of you know, we recently got our own cat about 6 months ago – “Jackson”. After seeing CATS last night, we look at him in a whole new light. For those of you who haven’t seen the show, it’s all about cats and how they get their names, and what their individual names mean to them and the story behind them. There are scary cats, mean cats, magical cats, glamorous cats, jokester cats, etc. It’s quite powerful and even emotional at times, as the weathered old “Grizzabella” who was once the most beautiful cat is now tattered and torn and growing old and all the other cats want nothing to do with her.

The entire cast is cats! They are in lycra and spandex and have ears and whiskers and tails and claws and are very believable – I forgot that I was watching people. They even run and crawl through the aisles – kids would have a great time at this production. The singing and dancing was amazing, and the set was all aglow, as it takes place in an old junkyard, but there’s a starry sky and a bright moon and lots of coloured lights all around.

As you can probably tell, I enjoyed last night’s show as much as I did when I was young, and Rich said he really liked it too. In fact, when we got home and Jackson greeted us at the door – we decided (well, Rich decided) that he required a new name to better identify him and tell his story. So, he is now known as “Tabitha Von Purrrstein”. I told Rich that Tabitha is a girls’ name, but he said that Jackson is part tabby and is always purring so that’s his new name. (sorry Jackie – blame your father)

Anyway – go see the show if you can while it’s here – it’s Great!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi you brought back lots of good memories, pun intended, and I wish I could go see show too. love the new name, were you serious and really going to call him, Tabitha? anyhow your review is really really good, maybe a career change?? love SC