Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Parents Are Funny.

Last night was my second dress fitting. I asked my mom to come with me because I want her to be part of this – so my dad brought her down (they live up north) and he decided to come with us too. My seamstress is a lovely little Portuguese woman (Grace) who is very gentle and easy going and gives brides her undivided attention. In fact – she only sees me after hours so that we’re not disturbed and she says that nobody is allowed to come to the dress fittings with me because, in her experience, people tend to give ‘too many opinions’ and it puts pressure on the bride to maybe not say what she really would like to have done with the dress. But because my parents were here from out of town, she said it was okay for them to come.

So, I told my parents that they’d have to sit there and not yell out their opinions cause Grace knows what she's doing. She’s been making and altering bridal gowns for over 35 years and she knows what looks good, what doesn’t – what will help, etc. Plus – my dad is a very honest man and he hadn’t seen my dress yet, so I was a little apprehensive in case he didn’t like it on me. So, my parents promised me that they’d “be good” and wouldn’t say a word and they would just sit and watch.

So we get there and they say their hello’s and mom and dad sit down (it’s one big room). I go into the change room to put my dress on and no sooner do I come out of the room and step onto the pedestal, does my mom hop out of her chair and runs over to the mirror to look at me and then my dad gets up and comes over too, and then my mom asks Grace if she's going to shorten the hem and my dad says “don’t cut the train” and then my mom says “she won’t cut it hun…she might shorten it – right Lise?” and then my dad says "are you wearing a crown"...and then my mom is like “it's not a crown hun - it's a veil" and then they banter back and forth about it cause my dad actually meant a head band not a crown or a veil and he pulls a sample one out from one of the cabinet displays and puts it on his head and says "like this I mean"….and meanwhile poor little Grace is standing there looking up at me cause she's 3 feet tall and I’m on the pedestal mouthing the words “I’m sorry” to her, and so I had to yell at my parents and tell them to "sit down and not speak".

So back they go to their chairs, and they pull them a little closer to where I was standing so they could see me better. Grace continues to pin and tuck and we discuss the neckline and the straps and I can see my dad fidgeting…and ‘lo and behold…he stands up and says “oh no...don't do that...it's looks better like this….leave it like this…I like this"...and then mom jumps up and comes over and says "wait hun – what about this way” and I'm like "IT'S NOT DONE YET” and little Grace is just humming and pinning and trying to ignore them.

And then, nearing the end, when I put on the veil (which a very kind friend at work is lending me – thanks G!)…my parents lit up like the sun! I think I literally heard them "ooohh" and “aaahh". It was hilarious. They were like "wow – now you really look like a bride" "we LOVE the veil"..."use that veil!!".

So that was my night for about 45 minutes while my dress was adjusted. I love my parents more than anything, and was so glad they were there with me – but…they didn’t listen to the rules! I guess after years and years of me not listening – it was payback time!


Oh, and by the way, my dad loved my dress! (well….at least he told me he did – which is really all that matters). And he looked great in the crown! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, did we actually act like that? Oh my gosh! I really tried to be careful of my words, but emotions took over, I guess. You know we have one little girl, and to be part of even the fitting, made me feel so lucky. Dad and I loved being asked to go, and if we yacked to much were sorry, but, it was a special moment. Dad really does love the dress, and he is so proud of how you look. Love ya SC