Thursday, August 20, 2009

I guess it was just a "girl thang"

Since my last post - the hunger I was having has subsided. I am feeling pretty good most days actually. So, I guess it was just a "girl thang" that was making me want to eat my desk! The hardest part of the day for me seems to be as soon as I get home from work. I am really hungry for dinner, but if I do my workout before anything else, it curbs the hunger. As soon as I get in the door, I change my clothes and start my workout. I can't think about it too much because it's so easy to say "i'll do it later", so I don't think - I just do. Exercise for me is a natural appetite suppresent - so this timing works well as it allows me to make dinner without nibbling while I'm cooking. Rich usually works out after work too, so the timing is good for both of us. (Although - I would like him to cook more often!) xo honey.

Some days I get up early and exercise before work, around 5:45 a.m., it just depends on how I feel and what I have going on that evening. If I know I'll be out after work, or if we have evening plans - then a morning workout is best for me and that's what I do. As long as I get it in at some point during the day - I don't really care when it is.

I only weigh myself once a week - and that is basically out of curiosity, and to make sure I'm not fluctuating "too" much. It's funny though - I can have a great week - eat clean - workout every day, and still be the same weight, or sometimes even go up a pound or so. But I don't let this bother if I know I've been on track. It's usually just from something I ate that was higher in salt (if we go to a restaurant), or if my hormones are high, or, it could actually be if I had a lot of water before I weigh myself. But - if I were to step on the scale all the time, I would go nuts.

Instead - I like feeling my clothes getting looser, or noticing small changes in my shape. I notice that I'm not out of breath as easy as I used to be. Or that I can get through my workout dvd's a bit easier each time. This is great! But it also means I have to keep challenging myself to always stay somewhat out of my comfort zone. Otherwise, my body will adapt and I will plateau.

For now - Monday to Friday is pretty easy. The weekends are where the obstacles come in. I'm not on a "clock" like I am during the week, so I have to plan more. If we're out - snacks have to come with me. I have to watch if we're visiting people and they are feeding me. I have to still log everything that I eat. I don't worry as much about my exercise on the weekend because we are usually out and about doing something.

This weekend, for example, we will be at my brother's cottage - he's decided to make it a "party" weekend and a bunch of people are coming over to eat, drink and be merry. There will be tons of food and snacks and booze. I have to be smart. It's easy to say that I will "give myself a break", but I am not going to, because this is my life now. It's not a diet - it's how I want to eat all the time. There are no breaks that need to be taken. I'm eating the foods I enjoy and there is nothing I can't have. As long as I am in control 90% of the time - I can loosen up a bit the other 10%. I will have a little bit of whatever I want. A LITTLE bit! I will swim and dance and burn some calories. I will have fun.

And on Monday, I will be back on my schedule again and it will all be good! (Until my hormones kick in again anyway). Arggggg.

1 comment:

sc said...

it sounds like things are working out well in your plan, and I like that you can weigh a bit more sometimes and dont freak out, thats what I tend to do, and then try to starve for two or three days, and you know where that leads> so keep up your spirit, and goals, and I know your will is strong to succeed. you rock girl>SC