Thursday, November 09, 2006

Bells & Whistles, or Nuts & Bolts?

So, on Tuesday I went to the complex on a guest pass and did a fitness class. It was called "stretch and tone" and the instructor was "Emily!". "Emily!" is just a little spit-fire of a thing. She looks about 17, is very tiny and is full of piss and vinegar. Even her name has energy..say it with me..."Emily!" - she was great.

At first I had my doubts as I walked into class - it's not the poshyist place on earth. But in the same respect, people are just there to workout. Nobody cares what kind of shoes you have on; how good your hair looks; if your mascara is sweat-proof or not - they don't really look at you at all. The class was great - a mix of cardio and weights and stretching and toning - I worked up a good sweat and really enjoyed it.

Tonight I'm going back (have one guest pass left) to try the "Much more than Dance!" class. description: "Dance, get fit and have fun! Each week learn a new style of dance. From jazz to hip-hop to Latin and more! Add in some muscle-toning and you've got a fabulous, energy-filled hour!" Sounds fun yes!? I'll give it a go. Oh, and guess who's teaching? "Emily!"

Here's my dilemma. This complex has everything I need - weights, cardio equipment, aerobics, yoga, swimming, aquafit, whirlpool, sauna, a spa, massage studio, and is only a five minute drive from my house. BUT...it's really 'plain jane'. No fancy neon lights, no shag carpet in the lobby, no mirrors in aerobic studio...no shazzam you know?...more like just a shazzizle. Then there are places like Extreme Fitness (for example) which is more poshy - offers all the same equipment/classes, is only a little farther away and is priced comparably. It has the 'shazzam!'

What to do, what to do? I kind of like the laidback, low-key atmosphere of the complex, but sometimes I also like the froo-froo too. It makes you feel kind of fancy; music is usually upbeat; bright lights big city feel. But, I've done the froo-froo before and often felt like I was in a fashion show and couldn't go workout till my hair was perfect and my nike pants matched my nike top. And god forbid you leave the gym without a total makeover after your workout.

Not sure I want to be bothered with that when all I really want to do is run in with my gymbag, throw my hair up, work up a good sweat, and get outtie. Hmmm...maybe I just answered my own question. What do you think? When it comes to choosing a gym...do you go for the Shazzam or the Shazzizle?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say go for the Shazzizle! Who cares if it's not as posh as Extreme Fitness. Like you said, it's more laid back AND it's closer to your house! I would choose the complex. I also agree that the gyms like Extreme Fitness are fashion shows. I can't wait for my community centre to be built. It's a 5 minute walk from my house.
Love,
BFAW (N)

Anonymous said...

Totally shazzizle who needs all the frufru?? As for "EMILY" there has to be something wrong with her!!!lol

Anonymous said...

Well the way I see it its Nov.12th. and you have missed a couple of days writing in your BLOG. Oh well the whole world does not need to everything about you everyday. I would pick the gym that has the shazzizle and every once in a while pay for a day pass at the Shazzam one . Anyway young sis your pretty cool in my books and I think your great no matter what you choose. CDC.