Thursday, November 02, 2006

I can't believe these winter blahs! and it's not even winter yet!

I don't know about you, but man...the darkness is already getting me down. As autumn approaches and the daylight hours start to shorten, I can slowly feel my moods and energy levels change, and even though the days may still be sunny, and the colours are beautiful with the leaves changing, etc....you start to get 'that feeling in the air' that winter is just around the corner. My commute home from work is about 40 minutes in total - that's with the train ride, getting out of the parking lot, fighting traffic, etc. etc. Once late October arrives, I'm getting home in he dark, as I'm sure many of you are.

In the spring and summer, it's great - it seems like there's hours left in the day to go shopping, hang out with friends, take in a movie, walk along the waterfront trail..you name it ....lots and lots to do. However, this time of year, I am perfectly content with getting home from work, putting on my comfy cozies and hopping into bed. But who wants to do that every night? it's not healthy... for the mind, or the body.

A few years ago I learned to downhill ski, for the sole purpose of having something to do during the winter nights. But...things in my life have changed over the last few years (for the better!) and it left me without any peeps to hit the slopes with! I'm not much into skiing alone.

So, I decided to take a look at our community recreation complex - it has a great reputation, offers everything from swimming to weight training, cardio equipment, aerobics, yoga, squash, tennis. spa, etc. - you name it - they got it. I do the treadmill thing at home a few days a week, but I wanted something "new"; something to get me out of the house once in awhile. My plan was to come home from work tonight, have dinner, and go check the place out. I was excited about it all day actually....even during dinner, I knew when I was done, I was going to change my clothes and head out. The rec centre is only a five minute drive from my house (if that...) - it's very close!

So, I finished dinner, helped the BF clean up a bit - he looked at me and said "ok...wanna head over now"....and what did I say?...."um.....no....i'm tired and want to get my comfy cozies on and stay in k?!". Whaaa Haaapppen? what is my problem? Do any of you go thru' the same thing? The darkness totally plays with my mind. So, if any of you are wondering what to get me for christmas - i'll take one of those fancy lights that emulate the sun. I thought about asking Santa, but apparently he's on sick-leave due to Seasonal Affective Disorder. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only thing to help with SAD is more alchol. It helps numb the pain of all that darkness. My boys love winter hockey, sledding etc. but I sure can do without it!!!
Great blog Leece, keep up the great work.