Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Baby, it's cold outside....!

brrrrrrr. brrrrrrr. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Well - winter's here. Sorta. Not so much snow, but definately chilly temperatures - which is a good thing for the polar bears at least! The past few days I've been walking to the train station for my morning commute to work. It's only about a 20 minute walk from my house and, in all honesty, it can be quicker than driving when the weather is bad. No warming up the car; no scraping the windshield, no trying to find a parking spot when cars are parked three deep cause the lines are covered over by snow. (I saw that this morning actually...some poor sucker isn't going to be getting home too soon tonight - there's a car in front of him and a car behind him....can't believe some people!). Anyway - so yes - very cold - but I put on my hot-chillis (long underwear) and away I went.

As I was walking along, I thought to myself, "Self......doesn't this feel good? Don't you feel alive and invigorated by the crisp cool air? Isn't it grand to see the sun begin to rise? Don't you love that you can walk by a park and say hello to nature and marvel at the land that is?" But after about 10 minutes into my walk, my thoughts changed a tad cause my bum was cold and my lips were twisting sideways cause my face was starting to freeze and I couldn't see due to the windgusts throwing ice pellets in my eyes. So at that point, i thought to myself, "Self....you are stupid to walk today". But it was too late...I was already 1/2 way there. So I trudged along. After a frigid wait on the platform for the train to arrive (they're rarely on time - but they do "apologize for the inconvenience", so of course that justifies the $180 I pay to their late arses every month), I hopped on and got settled in.

As I was taking off my hat and scarf and mitts and earmuffs and getting out my book and changing positions about 40 times to get comfy, I noticed that something was different. What was this sensation I was feeling? Why were my fingers turning blue? OH! That's right - there was no heat on this train! I couldn't believe it. Heaters weren't working in my car, and after the walk outside in minus 15 degree weather and then waiting outside another 10+ mins for the train to come - some heat would have been a really nice treat! Not to mention an expected utility in the middle of winter on a commuter train. But to change train cars would have required me re-gathering my hat and scarf and mitts and earmuffs and putting away the book and readusting my papers and schlepping through the train, yadda yadda yadda, so I just snuggled up in my coat - wrapped my scarf around my head and dealt with it. I got into my book and started to forget about how cold I was, until I looked up to see what stop I was at and realized that I was the only one on my train car. I guess the others couldn't take it. They had abandoned the non-heated car. Wussies. So, I continued to read and shiver, and sing........"baby it's cold outside".......

And that was my morning. I have nothing better to blog about today, so perhaps you will get some entertainment picturing me wrapped up in a scarf and mittens singing in an empty train. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Mexico can't come soon enough! Adios.

No comments: