Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Expectations and Assumptions

"People are people so why should it be....you and I should get along so awfully....?" Even Depeche Mode doesn't know the answer to that question. Granted "awfully" is a pretty harsh word - I don't know anyone that I get along 'awfully' with - and now that I read that - it's kind of an oxymoron no? Get Along Awfully? Oh well...the song has made millions so what do I know?

I get along with pretty much everyone I meet. At least I think I do. However, there are times when I question the way others think and act. But who doesn't right? Sometimes when I feel strongly about something, that to me is so obviously correct, I just can't understand why the other person doesn't see it the way I do. So...I have a tendency to get a bit defensive, a little suspicious, and perhaps a touch self-protective - which is wrong - I know. However, having said that, there are certain things that I just won't budge on. Phoniness for example. Probably one of my biggest pet peeves. If you're phony, I'll see right through you.

But in most situations, I do need to realize that just because someone is not meeting my expectations, it's not fair of me to assume that it's because they just don't care, or that they are insensitive or eeevil. They deal differently, act differently, think differently. That doesn't make them bad, or wrong, or "awful". I DO know this in my heart of hearts (i'm not just another pretty face you know) - but you know when you just want to shake someone until they see things the way you do? Well...it's not gonna happen. "People are People" as the song says.....Plus, you can get arrested for that kind of stuff.....apparently.....


So...to all of you out there who do not meet my expectations....it's okay! It's cool! Y'all ma peeps...you can't help it if you're wrong....OOOPS! I mean Different! Yes...Different! It's good to be different and it's OKAY! Just don't come within shaking distance to me and we'll be fine!!

No comments: