Thursday, January 25, 2007

The end of an era!

"Well I just heard...the news today....seems my life....is gonna change..." - the other day Depeche Mode - today Creed (sorry honey - know you hate them). Well, I'm not expecting a child (as the song alludes to), but I did hear some news today. I knew it was coming. Just didn't know when. The little white house with the red door has been sold. My parents' house has been sold! My favourite place in the whole world has been sold! Now, to most of you 'normal' people out there...you're wondering "yeah,...and...??" - like you're waiting for a punch-line or something. But you don't understand. That's it.

This house is our family home. It has been for 34 years. It's a beautiful, lovely, warm, inviting home which backs onto the water. I spent all my years growing up looking out my bedroom window at the sailboats going by and falling asleep to the sound of the waves. It was magical. Why else do you think I stayed till I was 30! It wasn’t just a house – it was part of our family.

But my brothers have their own homes with their families, and I have my home with my boyfriend, and my parents' have a new home up north - so it was time to sell their precious abode. And sell it they did! It is a good thing - don't get me wrong. Their new home is just as warm and homey and lovely as the old, and is also on the water. (we’re a boating/kayaking family – so water is a big plus!!) Also – it’s steps away from one of the best shoe stores in Canada!! What's not to love!?


So although it will be hard to say good-bye to the little white house with the red door, it gives me comfort to know that my parents will have new adventures in their new home with lots of opportunities to travel and explore. And mom - maybe you can get a job at that shoe store so I can have staff discount K? I know you’re about to retire….but take one for the gipper. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi again my little blogger: I know just how you feel, 34 happy, wonderful, hard working, family oriented days, sharing, growing, backyard gymnastics, amazing family bar b ques, swimming, sailing, gardening, day care, grass cutting, boat building, snowman making, hockey rinks, camping in the winter snow, geysers coming through the ice, my memories your memories, dad and brothers too, our little white house with the bright red door, will create memories for another family, almost impossible to imagine, but good in lots of ways, Love you for remembering, and knowing the future can be bright and wonderful as well. SC